Friday, October 30, 2009

Did You Define Your Attitude At Work?

The most important thing to do as you begin your new career is to define your attitude towards work. How will it contribute towards your career? How will it add value to your role as a career builder?
How do you define attitude? According to The Advanced Learner’s Dictionary of Current English - attitude is defined as "a way of looking at life; a way of thinking, feeling or behaving." Therefore an attitude is not just the way we think, but the way we think, feel and do.
You may have your entire career plan worked out, but if you do not define your attitude to build its foundation on, then before long your plans will crumble. That’s not to say a career plan is not important. In fact, it is very important in achieving career success.
What you need to understand is that a
positive attitude is even more important. So how do you define your attitude at work? For me, to define my attitude at work means deciding the values that would guide me in my working environment.
Somewhere in my career after the tonnes of self-improvement books I have read, I decided that I needed to define my attitude towards my career. I decided that these
three values would be my clear defined attitude towards my career.

1. PrideI know this is a tricky word. It connotes arrogance especially when one has too high an opinion of oneself. Personally, in defining my attitude - "Pride" is taken to mean self-dignity. Pride prevents you from doing just enough to get by. If you know everything you do at work has your name and signature on it, then you will give it your best shot and nothing less.
2. PassionJust a simple plain ‘interest’ in any work or career you choose isn’t enough to bring you through the tough times. And trust me, there will be tough times. It could be an unreasonable client or an impossible timeline. However, a burning desire will pull you through these. An intense enthusiasm for all things worth doing will pull you through the toughest times.
3. BeliefIn order to generate that passion, it is important to believe. Only a deep belief will create the vigour and force that gives you the fuel to charge. Know that you can achieve all that you set out to do for yourself. You only need to start believing in yourself.
What is your
defined attitude you take towards your work? Write them down and begin practicing.

Niraj

pgdm 1st sem

No comments:

Post a Comment